4/18/12

I is For BORING....Unless it Involves ICE CREAM!

i had a REALLY hard time on Tuesday getting the kids interested in the letter "I." i don't know if it was my sluggish approach from returning from spring break or just a lack of crafty ideas. HOWEVER, i was determined to revamp mine and the children's love for school.
luckily when i was 14 i was FORCED into taking chemistry. (cry me a river, i didn't like my wood class so i don't know how to build a bridge...therefor i will NEVER get over it.) despite my evident dislike for the class, there was one thing that stuck with me....THE DAY WE MADE ICE CREAM.
something something about chemical reactions and junk plus a cup o this and a cup o that...toss it around for a while and VIOLA...somehow through all that "blah blah blah blah..." we made ice cream from two bags!
luckily for me, i wasn't SO ignorant in high school that i learned how to use Google and found the recipe, minus the snooze status chemistry lesson, and hit the grocery store!
because i have been lazy in the past and didn't take the time to iron out the kinks, if you will, of some of my previous projects, i decided that my husband got to be the guinea pig to my ice cream experiment. cause heaven knows i would have no idea if the chemical reaction worked or not!

here's what you need:
2TBS sugar
1 Cup half and half
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 c salt (the original recipe called for the chunky salt..but at 5 times the price, i say forget it. my table salt worked just fine!!)
and enough ice to fill a gallon sized bag about half way.
(gallon and pint sized bags)

sugar





                             and this stuff














                                                             
                           



< ---------------------equals

here's how we do!
put the vanilla, half and half and sugar in the pint sized bag. SEAL-ER up. set aside.
then put the salt and ice in the gallon sized bag.
put the pint sized bag in with the salt and ice. seal the gallon bag and shake it all up. it will take about 5 minutes until it sets up. but once it does, remove the pint sized bag and enjoy!!
my "pwe-schoolers" are going to have so much fun tomorrow! i can FEEL it!
i, myself, am quite excited.
oh, and heres a shout out to the husband for being my taste tester. :) he's great!


happy teaching!

Ms. Kyli!

No comments:

Post a Comment